Home invasion suspect denied bond

  • Thursday, September 4, 2014

Steve McDaniel/Gazette Brandon Keith Sigmon, of Summerville, appears at his bond hearing Thursday night at Hill-Finklea Detention Center in Moncks Corner. Sigmon was denied bond on a variety of charges stemming from an alleged home invasion and assault on a family in the Cane Bay area.

Brandon Keith Sigmon, the man accused of assaulting a family in the Cane Bay area Wednesday, was denied bond at a hearing Thursday evening at Hill-Finklea Detention Center in Moncks Corner.

Sigmon, 31, of 257 Westbrook St. in Summerville, faces charges of first-degree burglary, two counts of first-degree assault, three counts of kidnapping and possession of a firearm in the commission of a violent crime in the home invasion and armed assault of a 32-year-old woman and her 3-year-old son. A 2-year-old daughter was also in the home, but was not injured.

Sigmon could serve a life sentence in prison if convicted on all charges.

Judge Otis Prioleau denied bond on all four counts after hearing testimony from the victim via telephone and from Detective Mark Fields, who represented the state at the hearing. Both the victim and Fields said Sigmon was a danger to the community and should be kept in custody.

The victim said she was beaten about her face and head with a handgun and Tased several times by the suspect, and is convinced he broke into her home to kill her and her children.

Sigmon, who does not yet have a lawyer, was not given the opportunity to speak at the hearing. He appeared in standard-issue Berkeley County orange prison garb, and looked visibly upset as the victim read her statement via speakerphone in the hearing.

Sigmon’s preliminary hearing is set for Nov. 7 at the Berkeley County Courthouse in Moncks Corner.

According to the sheriff’s report released Thursday afternoon, a 5-foot-10, 180-pound white male with short blond hair wearing plaid shorts and a multi-colored shirt was going to door-to-door in the Cane Bay area under the pretense of selling vacuum cleaners. Sigmon is listed as 6-feet, 190 pounds in his arrest report.

The report said the suspect reached the home at 395 Decatur Drive in the Cane Bay Plantation community, where the victim was home with her two small children. She said the suspect came to her front door, which she did not open. He asked if she wanted to buy a vacuum cleaner and then asked to speak to her husband.

The victim said she told the man to leave or she would call the police, at which time he left the front door area. The woman then called her husband at his workplace to tell him about the encounter and that she felt nervous. Before she could finish the call, she said the suspect broke in through the back door and forced his way into the home. At that time, the husband said he could hear his wife screaming and the phone connection was lost. He then called 911 to report a possible break-in.

The victim told police that the suspect yelled at her to get off the phone, hit her in the face and head with his fist and then a handgun. He then pushed her head against a wall several times, and pushed her 3-year-old son against the wall as well.

The woman was able to escape with her son through the front door and into the front yard, where several neighbors had gathered after hearing the commotion. The victim told police the man left through the back door and went over a fence in the backyard.

The report said the woman’s forehead was red and swollen, she suffered cuts and bruises to her face and hands and that she had a broken front tooth.

Moon said Sigmon was found trying to hide in a retention pond at about 7 p.m. Wednesday near where the alleged assault took place.

His arrest followed a large manhunt after 911 calls just after 2 p.m. Wednesday about a possible assault and home invasion in a Cane Bay home that resulted in the lockdown of Cane Bay Middle School and Cane Bay High School.

No shots were fired as far as the BCSO is aware. No weapons have been recovered yet.

After arriving on the scene Wednesday afternoon, BSCO deputies and the S.C. Department of Natural Resources set up a perimeter around the area and began stopping cars in search of the suspect.

As a result, Cane Bay High School and Cane Bay Middle School were put on lockdown. The lockdown was lifted after about an hour, according to Moon, and all students were free to leave by dismissal time.

Check back to this website for updates.

Latest Videos
News from Twitter

The Gazette

© 2016 The Gazette an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.