Report: Shooters from mall incident charged

  • Monday, July 28, 2014

Two teenage suspects taken into custody Tuesday have been charged with attempted murder after police say they shot another man in the parking lot at Northwoods Mall, according to media reports.

The suspects, 16 and 15, also face a count of possession of a firearm during a violent crime. The 16-year-old, who was expected to have a bond hearing Wednesday, is charged as an adult, North Charleston Police Department spokesman Spencer Pryor said in media reports.

The younger suspect remained Wednesday in the custody of the S.C. Department of Juvenile Justice, Pryor said. He has not been charged as an adult, so authorities have not named him.

Media reports also said Ninth Circuit Solicitor Scarlett Wilson and the police were still gathering information before deciding whether to ask a judge to send the charges against the 15-year-old to General Sessions Court, according to Wilson.

Investigators in North Charleston had been searching for the suspects since shortly after noon Monday when they allegedly shot another man.

The victim, a man not yet identified by authorities, remains in serious condition at the Medical University of South Carolina after suffering three gunshot wounds.

Police say the victim told them he was at the mall to pick up a person he knew, but that he got into an argument with two men he identified as “B.J.” and “Gooch.”

The victim told police he heard three gunshots, realized he had been shot and struck a parked vehicle, the incident report states.

The mall was evacuated shortly after the shooting as a precautionary measure, reports said.

Latest Videos
Upcoming Events

The Gazette

© 2015 The Gazette an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.