Baltimore Orioles catcher Matt Wieters (Stratford, Georgia Tech) will miss the rest of the 2014 season after undergoing Tommy John surgery to repair a torn UCL. Wieters had not played since May 10 before the announcement earlier this month surgery was inevitable.
He played in 26 games this season, batting .308 with five doubles, five homers and 18 RBIs.
• Seattle Mariners first baseman Justin Smoak (Stratford, USC) is batting .208 after a recent 2 for 25 slide with 11 strikeouts. On the season, he has seven homers, 29 RBIs and 12 doubles for the Mariners.
• On June 21, outfielder Bobby Ison (Stratford, CSU) made his professional debut in the Arizona Rookie League, a short season affiliate for the Cleveland Indians. The recent draft pick was 0 for 5 with a RBI.
• Justin Greene (Stratford, Francis Marion) is batting .380 for the York Revolution of independent baseball. He's got eight doubles, three triples, one homer and nine RBIs in 32 games for the Revolution. Greene began the season at Double-A Mobile in the Arizona Diamondbacks organization.
• Zach Wimmer (Cane Bay, Florence-Darlington) has a 3.94 ERA for the Wilmington Sharks of the Coastal Plain League, a summer woodbat league for college players.
He's made nine relief appearances, striking out 14 in 16 innings. He's walked 15 and given up 12 hits.
• Misfits Baseball will be holding open evaluations for the 2015 fall and spring travel baseball season. The team is looking for players in the 11U and 12U divisions. The dates are July 9 and July 16 at 6 p.m. The team is looking not just for players but families to be a part of a team concept.
If interested, please call coach Joe Carbone at 475-1051 or 509-2456 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Lowcountry Sluggers 14U fast-pitch softball travel team is looking to fill a few positions. If interested in trying out, please contact email@example.com.