Wednesday, May 21, 2014
Car enthusiasts came out to show and admire more than 250 classic, new and customized vehicles at Trident Technical College’s 22nd Spring Spin-Off car show on May 13.
Proceeds from the car, truck and motorcycle show benefit the W. Athell Yon Scholarship Fund, which provides scholarships to TTC students pursuing careers in automotive technology.
In the overall awards, John Cooke of Mount Pleasant won Best in Show for his 1966 Chevrolet Nova. Scott Harris of Mount Pleasant won Best Engine for his Chevrolet Nova.
Lori Hammond of Summerville won Best Paint for her 2000 Ford F150 SVT Lightning. Ham Johnson of Johns Island won Best Interior for his 1941 Willis truck.
Stu Shortreed of Summerville won the Advisory Board Trophy for his 1966 Plymouth Satellite. Larry Carlson of Goose Creek won the President’s Trophy for his 1968 Chevrolet C10.
Jason Miller of Johns Island won the People’s Choice Award for his 2002 Ford Mustang GT. Sandlapper BMW CCA (Charleston Area) won the Club Participation Trophy.
In addition to the overall awards, three trophies per class were awarded. The first-place winners in each class were:
• 4x4: Matt Bell of Mount Pleasant, 1952 Willys M38
• Antique: Hugh Knight of Charleston, 1939 Chevrolet Master Deluxe
• BMW: John Anderson of Johns Island, 1971 BMW 2800 cs
• Camaro and Firebird: Gary McCullough of Summerville, 1969 Chevrolet Camaro
• Chevrolet: Scott Harris of Mount Pleasant, Chevrolet Nova
• Corvair: Paul D. Broyles of North Charleston, 1961 Chevrolet Rampside Pickup
• Corvette: John Ditmore of Mount Pleasant, 1962 Chevy Corvette
• Ford/Lincoln/Mercury: Eric Whetstone of Summerville, 1955 Ford Fairlane
• GM: Butch Tabben of Summerville, 1964 Pontiac Grand Prix
• Import/Asian: Brian Rohr of Walterboro, 1978 Datsun 280Z
• Import/European: Doreen Ronchi of Mount Pleasant, 1966 Fiat Chia Jolly
• Model A: Jerry Sain of Johns Island, 1931 Ford Model A
• Mopar: Ralph Cohen of Charleston, 1964 Dodge Custom 880
• Motorcycle: Steve Naples of Moncks Corner
• Mustang (’64-1/2 to ’73): Henry Perritt of Mount Pleasant, 1970 Ford Mach 1
• Mustang (’74 and later): Bryan Merrill of Summerville, 2003 Ford Mustang Convertible
• Plymouth: Jeff Madden of Wando, 1970 Plymouth Superbird
• Porsche: Connor McIntyre of Charleston, 2002 Porsche 911 Turbo
• Race Car: Stacy Lundy of Summerville, 1980 Chevrolet Corvette
• Street Performance: Mike Pittman of Mount Pleasant, 1984 Chevrolet El Camino
• Street Rods: Ham Johnson of Johns Island, 1941 Willis Truck
• Trucks: Lucky Owens of North Charleston, 1937 Ford Truck
• Volkswagen/Air-Cooled: George Goodyear of North Charleston, 1965 Volkswagen Beetle
• Volkswagen/Audi: Lawrence Bland of North Charleston, 2002 VW Cabrio
Next year’s Spring Spin-Off will be held Saturday, April 25, 2015. For information, please contact Automotive Technology Program Coordinator Walter “Buzz” Varella at 843-574-6184.