Thursday, April 3, 2014
A second challenger entered the race for sheriff for June’s Republican primary.
Now Brian Adams and Matt Smoak will challenge incumbent Sheriff Wayne DeWitt for the Republican nomination Tuesday, June 10.
Smoak filed Friday, March 29.
Noon Sunday, March 30, was the filing deadline for candidates to run in the primary. No Democratic challengers filed so there will not be a Democratic primary.
Other candidates include:
• Clerk of Court – Mary Brown (incumbent), Leah Guerry
• County Supervisor – Dan Davis (incumbent), Jerry Beckley, Bill Peagler
• County Council District 4 – (no incumbent) Aldo Napoli, Tommy Newell, James Royce
• County Council District 5 – Dennis Fish (incumbent), Bud Thames
• County Council District 6 – Jack Schurlknight (incumbent), James Law, Baron Thomas
Unchallenged county seats within the incumbent’s party include: Probate Judge (Keith Kornahrens), County Coroner (Bill Salisbury), Register of Deeds (Cindy Forte), County Council District 7 (Caldwell Pinkney), and County Council District 8 (Steve Davis).
July 15 is the deadline for independent candidates to file for office.
The Gazette is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not The Gazette.