Thursday, January 23, 2014
Goose Creek City Council had only one public hearing on its Jan. 14 agenda.
It dealt with the second and final reading of a piece of wetlands property the city is selling to the S.C. Department of Transportation.
“They need an extra piece of property off Liberty Hall Road,” Mayor Michael Heitzler said.
The 3,900 square-foot piece of property is being sold for $1,800, Councilmember Jerry Tekac said.
The motion passed with a unanimous vote.
In other business:
• Citizen Joel Arenson asked if the city has any plans for use of the 2 percent hospitality tax. Heitzler said council needs to have another workshop.
At a previous workshop a list of about 15 ideas was compiled, including a possible golf course clubhouse to make money from weddings and family reunions. The most popular choice seems to be building phase two of the community center, Heitzler said.
• Director of Recreation Gary Stuber said 98 percent of the Casey Community Center roof is dry. The flat parts are not leaking. There are still some leaks in the eaves, he said.
• Director of Golf Operations Troy Sanders said in 2013 there were 2,000 less rounds of golf played than in 2012. He attributes this to heavy rainfall. Tekac said the Crowfield Golf Club still generated about the same revenue both years. Prices went up and expenses went down, according to Tekac.
• Council voted to appoint and reappoint three-year terms to members of the city’s Employee Grievance Committee.
• Council approved solicitation requests from Helping Hands of Goose Creek, for blood drives and for a golf tournament.
• A request to additionally fund street lighting at Carnes Crossroads off U.S.-17A and U.S.-176 was approved. City Administrator Dennis Harmon said 39 streetlights were approved for purchase, which the Daniel Island Company would match. Harmon said the city anticipated to pay $26,000, but due to SCDOT regulations the cost went up an extra $12,000 to $38,450.
Councilmember Mark Phillips asked if the city is paying the light bill. Harmon answered yes.