McDonald sets two S.C. State records
One week after becoming South Carolina State’s all-time career receptions leader, former Stratford standout Tyler McDonald etched his name in the Bulldogs’ record book again.
The senior receiver made three catches for 84 yards and a touchdown in a 45-9 victory over Savannah State. Now, with 2,166 career yards, McDonald moved ahead of the old record set by Oliver Tre Young of 2,156.
His touchdown against Savannah State was a 34-yarder in the first quarter.
The Bulldogs are 6-3 overall this season.
“It feels good but more importantly, it’s good to get back on the winning track after last week, said McDonald. “It’s good to get the bitter taste out our mouth.”
The Bulldogs lost 14-3 to Bethune-Cookman a week earlier but McDonald made seven grabs for 35 yards, moving ahead of Young on the career receptions list with his first catch of the day.
• Former Goose Creek all-American Brandon Shell is a starter on the offensive line for the South Carolina Gamecocks. He has started all nine games for USC.
• Former Goose Creek Gator Kevin Glears made three catches for 23 yards in Charleston Southern’s 27-16 win over Presbyterian on Saturday. Glears has 26 receptions for 389 yards and six touchdowns this season.
• Former Stratford standout Ryan Barnwell, a running back for the Newberry Wolves, had 62 yards rushing in Newberry’s 28-21 victory over Brevard on Saturday.
The Wolves are 8-1 this season and Barnwell has 276 yards rushing and five touchdowns.
• Former Hanahan standout Irim Aiken is one of the top defenders for Tusculum. He plays defensive back for the Pioneers and has 40 tackles and seven pass breakups.
• Charleston Southern linebacker Trevon Bennett, a former Goose Creek star, is out for the year with a torn anterior cruciate ligament. The sophomore had five tackles in five games played.