Buccaneers open fall practice
The Charleston Southern Buccaneers officially opened fall football practice and began preparations for the upcoming season with a two-hour workout Friday afternoon at CSU.
The practice was the first of the fall for the Bucs under first-year head coach Jamey Chadwell.
“It was great to be back here out on the field with the guys coming back and having the new guys aboard as well," said Chadwell, who took over for Jay Mills. “I was excited to see them come out of walk-through this morning and come back out this afternoon with great energy and emotion. They remembered a lot of stuff that we did in the spring, which is always good for a coach.
“It’s a good start and a good first day for us.”
CSU ran through morning conditioning tests after reporting back to campus Thursday night, and Chadwell was pleased with the results.
“We had a huge number of guys here who did it (conditioning test) over the summer and didn’t have to run it and the ones that did really knocked it out,” said Chadwell. “Coach Scott, our strength coach, did an outstanding job getting them ready so we’re very pleased with that. I feel like, at least the first day, we’ve made some good strides as far as our attitude and what we’re trying to get out of them.”
CSU practiced at 3 p.m. each of the next four afternoons before two-a-days began on Wednesday. The first practice of fall camp will take place on Saturday, Aug. 10, at 3 p.m.
The Bucs face The Citadel in their season opener on Aug. 31 at Johnson Hagood Stadium.
• The CSU marketing department has announced plans for special themed days during the home football season.
In addition to these theme days, Stokes Honda of North Charleston will also be on hand to conduct the “Kick for a Car” contest at halftime during each home game.
Other theme days are:
• First Responder’s Day, Sept. 7 – Charleston Southern vs. Shorter College presented by Wingate by Wyndham.
All EMS, firefighters and members of the police department will be admitted for free with a department-issued ID or wearing a department-issued shirt. All family members of these first responders will also be admitted free of charge.
• Youth Day, Oct. 5 – Charleston Southern vs. North Greenville presented by Healthfirst .
All kids under 12 will be admitted for free, while children ages 12-18 will be admitted for $5. All recreation teams in their team jerseys and all church youth groups will be admitted for free. Teams and groups must pre-register by contacting Jennifer Wilson at email@example.com or 843-863-7671.
• Homecoming, Oct. 26 – Charleston Southern vs. Charlotte presented by East Bay Deli .
• Military Appreciation Day, Nov. 9 – Charleston Southern vs. Coastal Carolina presented by Willie Jewell’s Old School BBQ All those with a military ID, and their families, will be admitted for free.
• Senior Day, Nov. 23 – Charleston Southern vs. Liberty presented by Trident Health Systems .
All Trident employees and their families will be admitted for free.