Saturday, July 6, 2013
Former Stratford Knight baseball standout Justin Smoak has heated up since coming off the disabled list on June 18.
Smoak, a first baseman for the Seattle Mariners, hit his third homer in nine games on Saturday after missing time with an oblique injury. The shot came against the Chicago Cubs and was his sixth of the season.
Heading into this week’s games, he was 9 for 31 (.290) with five RBIs and five runs since coming off the DL. On the season, he’s played in 56 games with a .245 batting average.
• Baltimore Orioles catcher Matt Wieters (Stratford) entered the week having hit safely in three of his previous four games. Among those games were a pair of two-hit performances against Cleveland and the New York Yankees.
On the season, he’s batting .233 with 10 home runs and 39 RBIs for the Orioles. He had three home runs in June.
• Mobile Bay Bears outfielder Justin Greene (Stratford) is batting .313 for the Arizona Diamondbacks affiliate in the Double-A Southern League.
He was 2 for 4 with three runs scored from the leadoff spot in Mobile’s 7-0 win over the Mississippi Braves on Monday.
He has also stolen 20 bases and driven in 20 runs for Mobile.
• Matt Crim, a former Stratford southpaw, is playing independent ball for the Evansville Otters in the Frontier League.
He’s 1-3 with a 4.97 earned-run average. He’s struck out 22 batters in 24 innings and given up 34 hits.
• Former Stratford and Charleston Southern pitcher Ryan Gunther has made three appearances this season for the Danville Braves of the short season Appalachian League.
Gunther, a recent draft pick by Atlanta, most recently pitched on Monday.
He threw a scoreless final inning of a 3-0 loss to the Bluefield Blue Jays, striking out two batters.
He also had a scoreless performance on June 23 against the Johnson City Cardinals when he struck out four batters in two innings and gave up one hit.
He gave up five runs on three home runs on June 26 against the Pulaski Mariners.
• Former Stratford and current Charleston Southern outfielder Bobby Ison plays for the Asheboro Copperheads in the Coastal Plain League. The CPL is a summer woodbat league for college players.
He is batting .247 with three doubles and seven RBIs for Asheboro, which was 18-8 as of Monday.
Ison had two hits on Saturday as the Copperheads wrapped up the CPL West Division first half title.