Summerville runners OK after Boston explosion

  • Thursday, April 18, 2013

A Boston police officer wheels in injured boy down Boylston Street as medical workers carry an injured runner following an explosion during the 2013 Boston Marathon in Boston, Monday, April 15, 2013. Two explosions shattered the euphoria at the marathon's finish line on Monday, sending authorities out on the course to carry off the injured while the stragglers were rerouted away from the smoking site of the blasts. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa) --

Three Boston Marathon runners from Summerville were not injured Monday in the explosion that shocked the nation.
The Summerville runners were Maureen Bodkin, Jessica Farmer and Lauren Jaynes. Official reports show that Jaynes finished in 3:42:26 and Bodkin in 4:01:04, putting her at the finish line just minutes before the 4:09:45 explosion.
Farmer is not shown as finishing the race, although she is shown as having passed her last checkpoint at 4:21:22.
Two explosions were reported. All runners who had not finished the race before the explosions were diverted off course.
According to Dorchester School District Two Public Information Officer Pat Raynor, Bodkin is employed at Beech Hill Elementary School as a school nurse.
Raynor said that Bodkin talked to a Beech Hill staff member Monday afternoon; the staff member said that Bodkin had finished the race and was about a block from the scene of the explosion with her son, who had accompanied her to Boston.
Bodkin and her son were not injured, and Bodkin is expected back at work at Beech Hill Wednesday, Raynor said.
A total of 130 South Carolinians took part in the race, according to reports.
Summerville resident Abby Caputo said that she and her mom stood across the street from the spot where the bomb went off when they attended the Boston Marathon two years ago to cheer on her dad who was running in the race.
Caputo has completed seven marathons but has never run the Boston Marathon.
“Running the Boston Marathon is a milestone for runners,” Caputo said. “I remember standing there seeing the look of excitement and happiness on the faces of the runners, and the anticipation of those waiting for them at the finish line, and the thought of that being shattered by an event such as this is heartbreaking.”
According to Caputo, runners qualify for the race through an elite process by running a qualifying time in what are known as “Boston qualifiers,” and that if you are a runner it is something to which you aspire.
Chris May and Jacob Driggers of Charleston finished the race about 90 minutes before the explosions. They were back in their hotel when the blasts occurred.
Julia Early of Lexington had finished the marathon and was waiting to get a bag from a bus when she heard an explosion. Early says it sounded like a cannon. She says she made it back to her hotel room and was able to let family and friends know she was safe.
Amanda Perkins of Greenville says she had come across the finish line about four minutes before the first explosion. Perkins says she turned around and saw a gray cloud. She says there was no panic until the second blast.
Three people were confirmed dead in the blast, including an 8-year-old boy who was a spectator. Over 140 people were injured, and 17 were listed in critical condition.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Latest Videos
News from Twitter

The Gazette

© 2016 The Gazette an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.