Craig Ascue elected as SCSBA Region 2 Director
Craig Ascue, a member of the Charleston County board, was elected to the South Carolina School Boards Association (SCSBA) Board of Directors as the Region 2 Director during the associationís annual business meeting held on December 1. Region 2 represents the Charleston County School Board.
The annual business meeting, which was held during the associationís Legislative Advocacy Conference, included voting delegates from most of the stateís 81 school boards. In addition to the election of association officers, delegates adopt resolutions to guide the association during the 2013 legislative session.
Ascue has served on the Charleston County board since 2010. He served on the Mt. Pleasant Constituent Board for 12 years.
Craig currently is the operational manager at Ascueís Paint and Body Shop in Mt. Pleasant. He is involved in several community organizations including Omega Psi Phi fraternity Mu Alpha graduate chapter and East Cooper Lodge 470 of Mt. Pleasant. He serves as a member of board of directors for Goodwill A.M.E. Childcare Center in Mt. Pleasant, Jack and Jill of America and is a Sunday school teacher for Greater Zion A.M.E. Church.
Craig and his wife Tanya have three daughters.
In addition to Ascue, the following officers elected to lead the associationís board of directors for a one-year term are as follows:
- President, John Hughes, Marion County School Board
- President-Elect, Beth Branham, Lexington Two School Board
- Vice President, Robert Gantt, Lexington and Richland Five School Board
- Treasurer, Kathy Coleman, Saluda County School Board
- Secretary, Queenie Boyd, Lee County School Board
The following school board members were elected to serve a four-year term on the 22-member board of directors as regional directors:
- Region 4 Director, Betty Jo Johnson, Dillon Three School Board
- Region 6 Director, Charles Govan, Darlington County School Board
- Region 8 Director, Jamie Devine, Richland One School Board
- Region 11 Director, Doug Atkins, Anderson One School Board
- Region 12 Director, Jantzen Childers, Union County School Board
The South Carolina School Boards Association is a non-profit organization serving as a source of information and a statewide voice for boards governing the 81 school districts.